Agitated Thin Film Evaporator
Our high viscosity units can handle products with viscosities of several million centipoise!
An Agitated Thin Film Evaporator (ATFE), also known as Thin Film Evaporator (TFE) or Wiped Film Evaporator (WFE), consists of a jacketed shell precision machined from inside and a rotor having blades that maintain a close clearance from the shell.
A feed distributor at the entry point distributes the liquid in a thin film on the heated wall. The high speed rotor further spreads and intensely agitates the film as it flows down. The generated vapors flow countercurrently and get cleaned by an integrally mounted entrainment separator.
- Residence time of a few seconds with a narrow spread, an important feature for heat sensitive products
- Required evaporation is achieved in a single pass, avoiding product recirculation and possible degradation
- Scale formation on the heat transfer surface is reduced due to the intense agitation of the liquid film
- Excellent turn down capability
- Low product holdup, ideal for hazardous applications
- Operating pressure as low as 1 mbar and operating temperature up to 400 0C
- Special designs for clean room applications and GMP requirements
- Distillation of bulk drugs, intermediates, fine chemicals, glycols, used lubricating oils, fatty acids and their derivatives, monomers, pre-polymers, polymers, rubber chemicals, amines and esters
- Processing of oleoresins, enzymes, plant extracts, milk products, juices and sugars
- Stripping of silicone oils, pesticides and plasticizers
- Recovery of contaminated solvents and products from residues
- Paraformaldehyde and devolatisation of viscous polymer melts
- Recovery of products from residues